My Munkins

My Munkins

Monday, December 20, 2010

Blake's Birthday Post




Where, oh where, do I start?

Mr. Blake/Blakers/Blakey boy,

December 14th is the day that changed my life, and from the moment I saw you (on the ANCIENT ultrasound machine in my college lab)... you had me wrapped around your finger.

 I was accepted into the Ultrasound program in April of 2006,  I fully expected that experience would change my life, but I had NO IDEA it would be in such a HUGE way.
You see, Mommy needed a physical to "officially" be accepted into the program and start "clinical". The very same physical is the day we found out, Daddy and I were expecting. It was indeed a SURPRISE! But we were non the less very excited!
I could NOT contain my excitement and called Daddy as soon as I left the Doctor's office to tell him the NEWS! ( he was not to pleased with me telling him via phone, but I just couldn't keep it in!) Of course there was fear of the unknown, Daddy was the only one working at the time and Mommy was starting a brand-new FULL-TIME adventure herself,  but we knew some way some how we would make it work.

From that point on, we began preparing for you! And I just KNEW you were a boy! Of course, I (as well as my classmates) had to take a "sneak peek" every chance we could get!  I was elated to find out you were a boy ( and that was evident even at 15 weeks!).... Daddy was even MORE elated! We decided on the name "Blake" very early on, mainly because it's the only name we could agree on. You middle name is after your Poppa.
My pregnancy with you was easy going from day ONE! You were very nice to Mommy ( but not to her body!) ... until the END! RIGHT after my very last final exam for my first semester, I went to see the Dr. He told me I needed to take it easy and put my feet up (my feet, ankles, hands, and face got VERY swollen) because I was going to have a baby SOON!  Dr. P decided to induce a week early because my blood pressure was very HIGH! So, we gave us paperwork and told us to call at 5AM the next day to see if there was a bed available!

I could NOT sleep a wink that night, I just laid there... starring and starring at the clock! I got up at 4:30, took a shower and called at 5:00 on the DOT! Sure enough there was a bed available, and Daddy and I very very NERVOUS! We ate a small breakfast, put the car seat in the car, and off we went! On the way to the hospital, Daddy said " How long do you think this will take?... You think he'll be here around Noon?!"... I of course said... "ummm.... no.. and you better just put your patient pants on, this could take ALL day!"....

When we arrived a the hospital, we registered and there was NO turning back from there! (Gramm met us there!) After all the questions, the IV in, and a few bets in place (Gramm, and Daddy were betting how much you would weigh, and what time you would arrive!) The pitocin drip BEGAN right around 8:30 am.

I was thinking to myself... OH BOY... this is going to take FOREVER.. .I don't feel a THING! Eventually the nurse came in and after we talked for a bit, we decided to get up and walk. But.... when I stood up......and looked down...... MY WATER BROKE!!!!!! At exactly 10:00am! Daddy and I still went for a walk.. a short one.. but none the less....
 When we came back and the monitors were all hooked up... the PAIN started coming. The contractions became very intense... very quickly! The nurse asked at about 11:00am if I needed anything for pain... and at that point, I said "NO... I don't THINK SO!"... her response was: "Well... let me check you to see if you are far enough along in case you change your mind".... So she did just that...

To EVERYONE's amazement I had dilated to 6.5cm in ONE HOUR!!!!! I was SOOO not prepared for that!!! Everything was happening so fast, we really just sat (well Gramm and Dad sat).... in shock! I managed to get to about 8.5cm before I CHANGED MY MIND!!!!!! I really wanted some drugs at that point! BUT Dr. P... gave me ONE choice... a narcotic... or NOTHING!!! Since this was my first time experiencing this.... I wasn't sure what to do... could I HANDLE this??? Everything was a BLUR! I went ahead and got a small dose of meds, but my the time thet injected it... I was ready to push you OUT! I felt NO pain relief.. and before I knew it..... Daddy was holding one leg, and Gramm the other.... 15 mins later....

YOU WERE HERE!!!!  At 12:20pm  all 6lbs 15oz of you arrived!!!!

I guess Daddy was right after all! He ended up winning the bet...on TIME and WEIGHT!!! Who knew I would have a 2.5 hour labor and birth?! Surely NOT ME!


  EVERYONE CAME TO THE HOSPITAL TO SEE YOU! AND I MEAN EVERYONE!!! We had so many visitors and we learned at lot of new things at the hospital...but none of them really helped... especially not the lactation consultant!!! We learned what worked for us, when we got home and settled in :)


You have stolen every one's heart from that day!!! You are the apple of Gramm, Nan, Pop, Gramp, Great Grandma Hoskins and Great Grandma Roy's eye, everyone... adores you...after all you were the FIRST grandson :) and first GREAT grandson!!!


You were a pretty relaxed baby (except for the 3 week mark.. where you decided to projectile vomit every feeding, and we found out you had Pyloric Stenosis, which required SURGERY!!! But that's a WHOLE OTHER STORY!!!!!!)...

You have turned into a sweet, caring, and gentle little boy!! You absolutely ADORE your baby sister (sometimes too much!).You have a lot patience with her, but you aren't so fond of her stealing all the attention! You are very territorial of your space... and your DADDY!!!!

YOU are DADDY'S BOY!!!! You have always been close with him, but I never imagined you would be this close! You want your Daddy to do everything with you! Put you to bed, get you dressed, give you a bath, feed you... EVERYTHING! You are the BEST of BUDS!!!


You also LOVE your LOGAN!! You two are going to be BEST FRIENDS when you grow up... you already ARE!!! :)
You LOVE your Dog, Sophie! :)




You HATE sleeping or eating! You can go days just eating a hot dog... and drinking Milk!!!! But I've been assured you are growing well... and you won't starve yourself!!
You are a very quick learner (you walked at 10 months)... and you love to read, draw, put puzzles together and watch TOONS! But Boy... you LOVE the outside... YOU NEED your "outside time".. because you have A LOT of energy!

You can count to 13, say your ABC's, and have the BEST manners :)  You started preschool this year, and LOVE IT! You are a home-body though... and you don't like to be away from home, or be in a unfamiliar place. I think you get that from me.... you tend to be shy :)

I wish I could say you do no wrong, but the truth is .... you are a very stubborn BOY! You like things done a certain way... and that's YOUR WAY! You know exactly what you want, and usually won't compromise!  But we are learning that as long as things are done on your terms... you are becoming more flexible. As long, as you can make the decision... you are OK with it!

My sweet Blake, you are the apple of our eye! Daddy and I believe everything happens for a reason, and God knew exactly what he had in mind for us, when he gave us you! We love you more than words can express.


Love,
Mommy, Daddy and McKenna

No comments:

Post a Comment